Monday, March 31, 2008

The mare Morena

In January 2008, I went from happy family man, to happy family/horse man. Due to that the ex-owner had a big accident (horse accident!!!) a couple of years ago he wasn’t able to continue with his 5 horses.
3 were sold off, but he couldn’t sell his 2 “children”. A mare called Morena, and a stallion, both 12 years of age. The stallion is of Canarian race and Morena is Arab (but not pure). As told, these 2 horses were, and still are, his children, and he asked me if I could help him. When I was young (about 25 years ago) I did some riding, but since the, my work has taken me from Denmark, US, England, Germany and now Spain, to there has been very little time to ride.
I meet up with the owner one evening to have a look at the mare. Keeping in mind that the horses haven’t been ridden the last 3 years, I did approach the horses with a lot of respect, but after 15 min the stallion came up to me. We spend 2 hours by the horses, and the owner told me that he would give me a call. After 2 days he called me and gave me a proposal: the mare was mine (no charge), but I had to continue with her in his fold, and when I feed her, I should also feed the stallion (split costs). The fold is great, apox. 5000 sqm. of open land, with 5 indoor boxes (free access for the horses).

My next problem was then; I had no clue about horses. But living in a small traditional village, I get all the help I need from my neighbors. Although these help, sometime, is a bit to traditional for me. Therefore I´m using this blog to get in contact to other horse owners around the world, and especially learn more about horsemanship.

No comments: